Interrupting Prolonged sitting with physical ACTivity at Home (InPACTatHome) program Privacy Notice
Last revision date as posted on website – June 2021
The University of Michigan (U-M) privacy statement recognizes the value of privacy of the university community members and its guests.
This unit-level privacy notice provides more specific information on how the Interrupting Prolonged sitting with ACTivity at Home (InPACTatHome) program website collects and processes your personal information.
This privacy notice applies to our practices for gathering and sharing information related to the InPACTatHome website, which is a website within the Exercise & Sport Science Initiative (ESSI) website. It is meant to provide you with an overview of our practices when collecting and processing personal information.
How We Collect Information
- Information is collected directly when you or your children provide demographic information in order to participate in the InPACTatHome program.
- Information is collected automatically by U-M anytime you, the parent, log in with your username and password to use the InPACTatHome website, or when your child uses the website.
- Information is also collected by third parties. Advertising and marketing service providers capture personal information through technology, such as a cookie, on our behalf. Cookies are files that store your preferences and other information about your visit to our website.
What Type of Information We Collect
We directly collect the following personal information:
- Children’s age, gender, race/ethnicity, zip code, city, and school district.
- Parents’ age, gender, and ethnicity.
- Teachers’ age, gender, ethnicity, school, years of teaching experience, and current grade level they are teaching.
Automated Collection by U-M
During your visit to inpactathome.umich.edu, we automatically collect and store certain information, which includes:
- The date and time of your visit to the website or a video page.
Automated Collection by Third Parties
We partner with third-party advertising and marketing providers, such as Google Analytics, to automatically collect and store certain information about your visit, such as:
- The internet domain from which a visitor accesses the website
- The IP address assigned to the visitor’s computer
- The type of browser the visitor is using
- The date and time of the visit
- The address of the website from which the visitor has linked to the InPACT website
- Content viewed during the visit
- Amount of time spent on the website.
How This Information is Used
We use the personal information we collect to:
- Provide service support: Information about your visits to our website allows us to monitor website performance, make improvements to site navigation and content, and provide you with a positive program experience.
- Engage with program participants: We monitor participant engagement with the InPACTatHome website and video pages and provide incentives to children and families to complete the exercise videos and family engagement modules. Incentives are in the form of electronic badges or trophies that appear on screen.
- Engage in research: We measure participant engagement with the InPACTatHome program materials to determine if changes in knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors are occurring as a function of completing the exercise videos and/or family engagement toolkits. This information will only be evaluated after participants have given us permission to look at and analyze their data (on the first page of the Qualtrics questionnaire, we ask for informed consent to collect this information).
With Whom This Information is Shared
We do not sell or rent your personal information. We may, however, share your information in limited circumstances, such as with InPACTatHome program partners (e.g., Michigan Department of Education, Michigan Public Health Institute, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services, iEval). In these cases, we share only summarized information that cannot be used to identify you.
We may also share your information when required by law, or when we believe sharing will help to protect the safety, property, or rights of the university, members of the university community, and university guests.
What Choices Can You Make About Your Information
If you choose to use the website, you cannot opt out of having your information collected. You can update personal information in “settings,” which is located in “my profile.” You can delete your account at any time, which will result in terminating your access to the InPACTatHome website. Your data from prior to account deletion will be preserved, but your identifiable information will be removed. Information previously submitted through Qualtrics cannot be removed when you end your participation in the program.
Automated Collection: Cookies
We use “cookies” to enhance your user experience when visiting the InPACTatHome website. Cookies are files that store your preferences and other information about your visit to our website. When you access our website, the following cookies may be placed on your computer or device, depending on your web browser settings:
|Cookie Type||Purpose||Opt Out|
|U-M Session Cookie||U-M session cookies are used to track your page requests after you log into our website. They allow you to proceed through different pages on our website without having to authenticate for each new area you visit.||You can adjust your session cookies through your browser settings.|
|Google Analytics||Google Analytics cookies count visits and traffic sources in order to measure and improve the performance, navigation, and content of our website. See details about Google’s usage of cookies.||To block these cookies, visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Alternatively, you can manage your browser settings to accept or refuse these cookies.
How Information is Secured
The U-M recognizes the importance of maintaining the security of the information it collects and maintains, and we make every effort to protect information from unauthorized access and damage. The U-M strives to ensure reasonable security measures are in place, including physical, administrative, and technical safeguards to protect your personal information.
Privacy Notice Changes
This privacy notice may be updated from time to time. We will post the date our notice was last updated at the top of this privacy notice.
Who To Contact With Questions or Concerns
If you have any concerns or questions about how your personal data is used, please contact the U-M InPACT at Home program at email@example.com.
Notice Specific to Persons in the European Union
Please click here for notice specific to persons within the European Union.
Notice Specific to Persons Under the Age of 13 or Their Parents or Guardians
Please click here for notice specific to persons under the age of 13 and their parents or guardians.